Charter of Client Rights
Before an individual can work as a psychologist in the State of Victoria they must be registered with the Psychologists Registration Board of Victoria. Your psychologist is also a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS) and the College of Clinical Psychologists. The APS is the largest professional association of psychologists in Australia, with a comprehensive Code of Ethics and Ethical Guidelines.
As a client of an APS psychologist, you have the right to expect that:
- You will be treated with respect
- You will receive a clear explanation of the service you will receive
- Your consent for any service will be sought by the psychologist prior to the service commencing and as it progresses
- You will receive an explanation about the nature and limits of confidentiality surrounding the service
- You will be clear about the goals you and the psychologist are working toward
- You will receive competent and professional service
- You will receive a clear statement about fees
- An estimate of the number of sessions required to achieve your goals will be discussed
- You will receive a service free from sexual harassment
- You will be shown respect for your cultural background and language tradition.
If you have any concerns about the above matters, discuss them with your psychologist. If you have concerns about the conduct of your psychologist, you may either call the Psychologists Registration Board of Victoria on (03) 9629 8722 or the APS on (03) 8662 3300.